L ' Hospital Child Jesus 'is the first pediatric hospital in Italian and was born in the second half of the nineteenth centurythanks to the generous initiative of the Salviati family . We are in 1869 and in Rome, as in the rest of Italy, the sick children are often hospitalized, without any particular attention, in the same hospital wards for adults.
The Duchess Arabella Salviati , deeply affected by the sight of this fact, is promoting the establishment of a children's hospital on the model Hopital des Enfants Malades in Paris . His project is immediately supported by the Duke Scipione and children who, on the occasion of his birthday, give it the savings contained in a small piggy bank, still preserved in the memory of that first gesture of solidarity. It 'on March 19 and a small room by way of Zoccolette , near the Tiber River, it becomes the nucleus of the hospital dedicated to the Child Jesus. Just four beds , entrusted to the attentive care of theDaughters of Charity of St. Vincent de 'Paoli , but for the city of Rome It is a revolution, the real answer to the request for help especially the poorest children. Immediately friends and benefactors are complimented by Salviati dukes and their contributions support the Hospital and help it in its rapid growth.
Soon the original home becomes too small for the needs of thenew capital of Italy, and so, in 1887, a resolution of the Town Council entrusted to the Duchess Salviati a part of the old convent of Sant 'Onofrio on the Janiculum hill, where it is transferred Hospital that already in the early '900 becomes the reference point for all the sick children of the city and in 1907, after the construction of two new pavilions, shelters are more than a thousand .
We get to 1917 , the First World War is not yet over: the Queen Elena of Savoy, who together with his wife made several times to visit Bambino Gesu ', offers the Duchess Maria Salviati the management of the colony of Santa Marinella which houses mainly children with bone tuberculosis. The structure is finally donated to the Duchess Salviati in 1921 that allocates "poor children of the Janiculum needing marine treatment ".
The biggest concern of the Salviati family, however, is to ensure a stable future to the structure: and so in January 1924 gives the Hospital to Pope Pius XI .
From that moment all the popes who have succeeded on the throne of Peter have promoted activities to protect the health of children and for all Romans the Child Jesus' becomes the "Hospital of the Pope" .
The transfer of ownership brings new life to the structure that continues to grow, with the help of private benefactors inevitable.
Unfortunately World War II left deep wounds that force the hospital to a slow recovery from the point of view of economic and structural. The financial interventions of the American in the early sixties accelerate this process by allowing the construction of new and more large buildings: the Child Jesus' is now ready to welcome the sick children who now arrive in increasing numbers from other Italian regions.
With a view to further expansion of the Hospital, in 1978, Pope Paul VI entrusted to the Child Jesus' a large area in front of the sea, a few kilometers from Rome along the Via Aurelia, with three pavilions already used the assistance of childrenwith spastic paralysis or poliomyelitis. Before long, the structure is converted back to the Center for vertebral deformities and for the care of diabetes; hence, the headquarters of Palidoro of the Child Jesus' that within a few years became a center for cutting-edge medical and surgical treatment.
In 1985, the Hospital of the Child Jesus' get the recognition of the Institute for Research, Hospitalization and Health Care (IRCCS) and states at the international level, adding to the clinical activity to research and experimentation for innovative treatments.
The Hospital has continued its steady growth to reach approximately 600 beds today and a level of excellence in quality and complexity of care, for which is identified as a reference point at international level for children's health and boys.